Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Migrainegate

Ok so most of you probably know that I consider myself to have a pretty high tolerance for pain. 

Well almost 4 weeks ago I woke up with a migraine in the front of my head. It was a Saturday, G went in to work and I was alone with the kids. It was a pretty laid back Saturday, no soccer games yet and I had planned to take the kids to the pool. We didn't make it to the pool because I spent most of the day crying on the couch. You see I don't get migraines EVER. So I have never understood the pain that people talk about until now.

Sunday was worse because this migraine traveled to the back of my head. So now it was hurting in the front and the back all day! It got so bad I actually considered driving myself to the ER, with all 5 kids in tow. Instead G came home from work and took the kids to the pool... I went to bed!

Monday was a nightmare. I wanted so badly to go to the doctor but KL&D had their 9 year appointment that day.

Tuesday I go to my doctor thinking I am going to get some relief after nearly 4 days of misery. They suggested that I get the shot in the hip. You see this shot "instantly relieves all migraines, but it does sting a bit". A bit? Who the hell are they kidding. That shot was worse than the strep throat shot!  I ain't gonna sugar coat it for you... That fucker HURT! Then came "after you leave here, I would suggest going home and relaxing in a dark and quiet room". REALLY?? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?? Have I not been here for YEARS? Do you not know that in less than 1 hour I will be picking my 5 children up from school?? (The only dark quiet room I can kinda be alone in is the "water closet", although I like to call it the toilet room!) The doctor also suggested I call to tell them how I was feeling. I called later on in the day and said the following... "That shot you gave me? Did it help? NO!In fact, now my head and my ass hurt!!"

Apparently that was a one sided laughing phone conversation....... (Note to self, doctor offices have no sense of humor.)

Wednesday I called again and they called in a prescription (Imitrex). I took it and instantly threw up and felt like my big ass van was sitting on my head.

So you get the pattern... I call complaining, they call in prescription, I call complaining, they call in something else.... A CT was ordered and the results came back normal.
The next step was an MRI. In the meantime, I had to "wait it out" until the MRI. So basically, NO RELIEF after nearly 2 weeks. So I did the MRI and less than 2 hours later the doctors office called me.

This time the results weren't normal...

"Your MRI showed some abnormalities that require the assistance of a neurologist. We will call you in a strong pain reliever and work at getting your referral in order. Once your referral is done, we will call you with an appointment time. Oh and you should probably limit your driving."

Ok... what do you think your reaction would be??
Honestly my first reaction was relief!
No the migraines haven't affected my thinking yet... I was hoping they would find something so that they can fix it. Did I expect them to say abnormalities and neurologist in the same sentence? Hell no. Oh and the "limit your driving"... yeah we had soccer practice that night in Crowley so I didn't really follow that one either.

So now here I am 3 1/2 weeks in with the worlds worst migraine...

I got some pain medicine.
It is in the form of a nasal spray.
It makes me feel like someone just shot the inside of my nose with a blow torch.
Maybe that is why I start to feel a little less pressure... because I am crying from the pain up my nose!

The good news about the nasal pain medicine...
I can take it every 8 hours.
The bad news is...
I can only take it at night because it pretty much makes me completely useless before it knocks me on my ass for the night.

I did finally get me an appointment with a neurologist.
Yup it is NEXT WEDNESDAY.

Oh goody... another week of total misery.

ON a positive note, the person that said "limit your driving" was apparently drunk at the time because I don't have to do that.

Although it is kinda hard to drive down the road with a bag of frozen peas on your head..........

No comments:

Post a Comment