Monday, August 12, 2013

Experimentation time!

Ok I am on a mission to get my kids healthy.

My 8 year old now weighs 55 pounds less than I do!!

I bought into a co-op program that has organic fruits and vegetables.
I don't know if I buy into the whole "organic" thing but I figured its not hurting anyone so I'll give it a go.

Saturday I picked up my whole share in Ft. Worth off 7th street.

In my bin (30 lbs) I had celery, bananas, kale, cherries, squash, Japanese sweet potatos, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash, collard greens, sweet potato greens and shitake mushrooms (yuk!)

Sweet potato greens? WTF are those?
Collard greens? I know what they are but I have never made any! Like NEVER!

So I consulted my good friend google and made the sweet potato greens. I recently posted on facebook that my kids ate them like I wasn't going to feed them again. There was even an arguing match over who got to eat the rest.
For those wondering.. I ate the rest.
I mean shit I'm the one shocked them back to life when they were "accidentally left in the car all day during tax free weekend and 100+ heat". I chopped the stems up. I chopped an onion up. I sauted them in EVOO. Then I added the leaves and some PURE maple syrup. Those puppies were so good the kids are dang lucky I even let them have some!

So tonight I ventured into the collard green territory.
I put the greens in a pot with some ham shanks, a diced onion and about 2 boxes organic chicken stock from Costco. I let them come to a boil. Then I simmered them for 3 1/2 hours while I worked upstairs in the kids' rooms.

The smell was so awesome all day.

Isn't that pretty? Can't you just see the steam? Smell it? Yup it smelled amazing.

Well I knew I was going to drain it and add something else but I didn't know what.
Well my friend SS & collard green aficionado said that I should add hot sauce & sugar.
So I did.
 
Just like the sweet potato greens from the other night, my kids inhaled these before they realized I might have put a little too much hot sauce in them...
 
 
So to make up for the burning mouths I let them have dessert.
Here are 4/5 of my kids enjoying their homemade frozen smoothie things.

The smoothie recipe was found on a website called 100 days of real food.
  • 1.5 cups plain organic greek yogurt
  • 1 cup fresh strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • ½ – ¾ cup fresh spinach leaves
  • Optional: if using fresh berries (instead of frozen) add some ice cubes

  •  
    I threw it all in my ninja.
    Then I filled up these silicone bpa free things I bought on amazon. Put them in a big plastic cup and set it in the freezer.
    
    Tonight they squeezed the bottom of the silicone things and worked the smoothie up to the top like a push pop.

    SUCCESS!!

    Maybe eating healthy won't be so hard after all.

    Next up....

    Homemade nutrigrain bars and graham crackers.

    I can do this!
    I can do this!
    I can do this!

    In other news.
    I bought myself a new TCU shirt.

    Size??
    MEDIUM!!

    I like it but it sure showcases my DDD's!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment