Monday, August 30, 2010

August 31, 2010

While thinking about driving to Dallas I remembered about a lady I met while walking the halls after my surgery.
She looked at me and said that I looked really good. I told her "Thank you" and kept walking. She then looked at me and said.. I had gastric bypass done also. I think my mouth dropped a little because the only thing big on this lady was her bulky robe. She then proceeded to tell me that she had her surgery when she was 450 pounds and she has lost 320!!! This time my mouth hit the floor.
I did manage to ask her why she was in the hospital and she told me that she "forgets to eat". HUH?? She explained to me that she NEVER wanted to be fat again so she was afraid to eat. Who would have thought that a woman who once weighed 450 pounds would turn into an anorexic? As I stood in the hallway I felt the urge to hug this lady because for ONCE I felt like someone knew how I felt. I didn't hug her and I regret it. I also regret not getting her contact info because I think I might have been a good support system for her. All I was able to do is say the following... "Please eat. You have worked so hard, you do not deserve to be hooked up to so many ivs and you don't deserve to be in this hospital. You deserve to be enjoying your new life." She told me thank you with a tear in her eye and said that within the next 5 months I should expect to loose 100 pounds or more. WOW! I wonder? Is that really even possible? 100 pounds before my family vacation? How cool would that be????

Now I ask all of my friends... Please don't let me be anorexic... although I really don't think that is even a possibility.....

1 comment: